How many times you will buy a new pen drive or SD card. Buying new pen drive or SD card is not the solution instead of repairing it. We often face this problem of a corrupted external storage device, and using few CMD commands you can perform the fix.
In this article, I am going to tell you the best way and the only way to fix corrupted external storage devices using CMD commands. For SD card you need to have an external card reader so that you can connect it with your PC or laptop.
3 of the best methods to repair corrupted Pen Drive or SD card:-
1. Reinstall the drivers
Sometimes your device drivers get corrupted in the computer, due to which your computer is unable to show the attached device. You can easily reinstall drivers by these simple steps:
- Right click on ‘My Computer‘ icon on desktop then Click Manage.
- Click Device Manager on the left side bar.
- Double-Click Disk Drives in the list. Right-click on the name of your pen drive.
- Click Uninstall –> OK.
- Disconnect your Pen drive and restart your PC.
- Connect your pen drive again. Now Your PC will detect it.
2. Repair corrupted Pen Drive or SD card using Windows Explorer
This is the most commonly used procedure to repair storage device to your computer, most of the people are quite familiar with it. you have to just format it.
Open My Computer
Select the SD drive and Right-click.
Click Format in the drop-down menu.
Make filesystem- FAT32 if it is NTFS
Click Restore Device Defaults in the popup window.
Click Start to begin the format process.
Click OK in the next dialogue box which will warn you that the data will be lost. The format process will complete in a few moments, it will take a little time and now you will see your SD card or pen drive is error free and ready to use.
Also, see our post on Pro tips to solve PHONE HANG PROBLEMS
3. Repair corrupted Pen Drive using CMD
When no other method works this method surely works. This method involves Windows command prompt or CMD. In this, with the help of few CMD commands Window will forcefully format your corrupted pen drive/sd card.
You don’t need to have a knowledge of CMD language. Just follow the steps I tell you
- Connect the corrupted pen drive or SD card to your computer.
- Now on your keyboard (in desktop view)
press “window key” + R,
a run dialogue box will open type cmd and press ok to open a command prompt. or
Hover your mouse over the Start button and Right-click. Click Command Prompt (Admin). A CMD window will open.
- Type diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list disk and press Enter.
A list of all the storage devices connected to your computer will be displayed.
5. Type select disk <the number of your disk>and press Enter. (Example: select disk 1).
Important: Make sure you enter the number correctly. Otherwise, you may format your internal hard drive. You can type list disk again to check whether you are going correctly. There will be a star (asterisk symbol) before the name of the selected disk.
- Type clean and press Enter.
- Type create partition primary and hit Enter.
- Type active.
- Type select partition 1.
- Type format fs=fat32 and press Enter.The format process will finish in a few minutes. You can write NTFS instead of fat32 if you want to carry files larger than 4 gigabytes.
Don’t close the CMD until the work is finished.
Also, see- 5 Pro tips to Solve Phone hang problem
Feel free to share your comments with us. also, share this article to support us.